Friday 17 January 2014

Analysis of Colour Palettes & Fonts

Font Research
  • I am going to be creating a Indie/Pop magazine, to which I am going to have to research different type of Fonts which will suit the audience that I am selling to.
  • By using this website, and by looking at other magazines suited to my chosen genre, I am able to compile a list then narrow it down to my final chosen font.
  • Magazines with a good use of fonts for my type of genre:
2. INDIE Magazine - The Independent Style Magazine:
  • For this magazine, they have kept a continuous title font throughout their different covers, and kept a theme of using quite neutral but bright and attractive colours. The font colour is white, and noticing between the eight covers below, I can see that it doesn't clash with the background colour they have chosen. This type of font could be a possibility to use for my typography on the magazine cover.

2. Spook Magazine - Internationally distributed Magazine based in Melbourne:
  • Another magazine that focuses predominately on imagery, but uses different various fonts do balance the two together. The font used for the 'Spook' logo has been changed by using a font to blend the two 'O's together, this makes the reader more accustomed and makes it more recognisable for the next time they come across this magazine. I think that the way they use a different font type for a different page genre makes the magazine very unique and it is something that I strive to create also. Examples of fonts used in 'Spook':

Fonts from 'Creativebloq.com' that I like:
  • The following font choices have been decided after looking at various other magazine covers, researching on how they would fit into my chosen genre:
1.   

Dense, a simple an elegant font, is the first of my four possibile font choices, I like this because it's very clear to read and it isn't too bold, however, there is the option to make it either bold and italics

 2. 

Biko Black, the second of my four possible choices. I think that this font stands out from the background in the example photo, to which attracted my attention due to the fact that it is what I am looking for when choosing a font for my title. The font looks best in bold.

 3.   

Tracks Typer, the third of my four possible choices. Again, also very clear and elegant for the type of genre I am focusing on, would stand out very clearly on the front cover. The font looks best as it is.

   4.  

Locksmith, the last of my four possible choices. The image shows the font in italics and normal. Very neat, looks best in both types, but would have to go on a very dark/pastel colour to stop it fading into the background/not being read clearly.
  • Note: If font is unable to be used, an alternative will be put in its place. The following are six other example fonts, similar to my popular four, but ones that can be found for free:

  • Note: After looking at inspiration, I am going to look at a certain type of font - handwriting style, instead of something quite rounded or 'futuristic'. I think that I changed my mind on the type of font I want to use as a title after looking at 'Interview' magazine covers.

Colour Palettes:
  • Using colour palettes are very important when deciding the colour scheme of a magazine due to the fact that you don't want any of the colours clashing when assembling the writing with the images. To help me decide what colours I could use, regarding my genre, for my magazine cover, double page spread and contents, is by comparing the standard and Black and White with another colour. I have decided to focus on using pastel colours due to the fact that by looking at the sort of colours that people wear regarding the Indie/Pop culture, I think this is the best suited and will relate to my music magazine. Here are the possibilities:

Conclusion: 
  • I think that this type of research helped me a lot when deciding the type of colour scheme for my magazine and gives a rough idea of what form of clothing to choose when styling my model. In regards of fonts, I think that I will try develop the ones that I have researched into my magazine style, however, I may change it around a bit due to the fact that I looked at existing popular covers and have got ideas from them, so I will explain how I got from my initial font research to where I am at now, I expect that will give me a clear image in my head of what fonts/colours I want to use for my cover to match my genre.

1 comment:

  1. Very good post Michelle. To secure the highest band again you need to reflect on what you have learnt and what could use in your own work.

    ReplyDelete