I feel as though I have learnt a lot from the first task that I set to now. The evidence to prove that shows my skills on Photoshop that have improved and my skills in using different cameras and lighting which will help me for when I need to use that sort of equipment again in the future. I did know some features of Photoshop that could help me through this process, but I learnt other important aspects that I didn’t know before. I think that I able to full achieve what I was asked to do throughout this project by using these different programs due to the facilities on offer.
During the process, I didn’t have any problems with the programs that I encountered which made the project run as smoothly as possible when creating the magazine pages. And as I look back on my first draft of the task that I was set right at the beginning, it truly proves the professionalism that I had put into making my real and final product look as neat and tidy as ever, in a sense that people would actually want to read it.
When I was creating my preliminary magazine cover and contents, the only theme I stuck to was incorporating the school colours to that the text would match with the logo. I think that this decision and the font choice I made looks tacky and the fact that I tried to make the text over the image look readable may have needed some adjusting.
I had always has conventional magazine covers in my mind, so I knew how to create something of a professional state, but using my skills and trying to get to that standard was a long process. I learnt that I had to keep to a specific layout, such as the examples above. I noticed that on my final preliminary magazine cover there is a lot of ‘negative space’; I think that I possibly could have filled this with an appropriate background so that the attention of the buyers isn’t taken away and so that it is still on the Centre of Visual Interest. Also, for the contents page, I didn’t really take into account where to put the text because I didn’t really follow a layout like I should have for the front cover, for instance, maybe an Alley should have been considered so that there was space given between the text and the border so that it looked a lot neater.
The layout examples that I have written down are in connection to the front cover and I decided to go with the ‘E’ layout considering I thought that it looked the neatest and that I was able to place the information that I wanted to in the right place in regards to my chosen magazine theme and I thought this would be suitable.
What I learnt about conventional magazine styles is that I should most defiantly keep a layout or theme style when making something like this.
By looking at my prelim task and my final magazine covers, it is obvious that by sustaining a layout, I have made great improvements. It is important that the photos stand out from the rest, the colour scheme is continuous and that the text can be read. I think that a ‘Deck’ was used in regards to the headline at the bottom of the front cover to summarise the article that is to come. In connection with this, a lot of ‘Filler’ text, placed at the top of the cover, was used to fill the negative space that was created from not filling the cover totally with the chosen image.
I believe that using a house theme/style makes a magazine unique, which is something I also stuck to when creating my final magazine due to the fact that I wanted to create something new and different. These factors mean the most when attracting the sort of audience I’m looking for so that everything on the page has to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
In conclusion, I think that Photoshop is the best program to use when constructing a project like this; it enables the user to use various tools and filters to create a good and professional piece of work. The work that I produced at the beginning of the project shows huge progression from where I was then, to where I am now and shows the amount of consideration and hard work that has been put in to improve such a thing.